Jack Vettriano’s painting of Zara Phillips for Sports relief with her reclining on a Union flag is up for auction. It is predicted to defy the credit crunch and fetch a stunning £1 million.
“We hope people will start bidding from £100,000,” says a spokesman for Bonhams, which is conducting the auction in aid of Sport Relief. “It’s a very rare piece and the only one of a young royal around that is up for auction. We would love it to hit the million mark and certainly think it is a possibility.”
“I was shaking and she had to calm me down before we started,” says Jack Vettriano. “It was always going to be a more natural rather than a formal portrait.”
The Fife-born artist’s paintings now sell at high prices. Whether this work can beat his previous record of £744,800, for the The Singing Butler in 2004 remains to be seen.
Special offers and rare prints
- just announced – Evening of Ritual by Jack Vettriano , framed or unframed limited edition print
- Jack Vettriano has three limited edition prints – Night Calls, Mr Cool and Exit Eden
- Lunchtime Lovers by Jack Vettriano – rare print , one framed print in stock , price £925
The Kelpies prints and gifts
- Your personal mobile caffeination and art delivery unit
- Insulated stainless steel with removable polycarbonate lid
- Holds 15 oz. (443 ml)
- Base fits in most standard car cup holders (diameter 2.5″ / 6.35 cm)
- Top rack dishwasher-safe
- Wraparound design printed for you when you order
The Kelpies are the largest pieces of equine art in the world , created by Scottish artist Andy Scott. The most successful Scottish artist of all time is Jack Vettriano .
Visit the Kelpies in Falkirk
Looking for things to do in Falkirk ? Why not take the Kelpies Falkirk tour and visit 3 five star attractions ?
The Kelpies, the Falkirk Wheel and Callendar house feature in this tour .
The Kelpies have become one of the top tourist attractions in Scotland with over two million visitors .